A sample text widget

Etiam pulvinar consectetur dolor sed malesuada. Ut convallis euismod dolor nec pretium. Nunc ut tristique massa.

Nam sodales mi vitae dolor ullamcorper et vulputate enim accumsan. Morbi orci magna, tincidunt vitae molestie nec, molestie at mi. Nulla nulla lorem, suscipit in posuere in, interdum non magna.

Wrapping Up 72 Hours in Beijing

Hey! We’re in Beijing for 10 more hours.



So, what have you been up to?


THURSDAY 8/28/08
Our final hours in Yichang went smoothly. Despite the rain and closed interstate, we made it to the airport via the shuttle bus. Our bags were overweight for inter-China flights. Then, we added the bicycle to our checked luggage (remember, Hubs sold it to a presumably tall Australian lady living in Beijing).

Thankfully, the airlines attendant asked if we were traveling on to America. After flashing our onward e-ticket as proof, she allowed us the excess baggage at no charge. Whew! That was a big blessing!

Our 1.5 hour flight went smoothly. Hubs and I tried not to be jealous of all those sleeping around us as we read books, sang songs, and played with two new dinosaurs. Schäfer did OK, but he definitely wanted to run around. At one point, he crawled under Hubs legs and bolted down the aisle. Containment is not his forte. We (and all of our luggage) arrived in Beijing on Thursday evening.

Our 72 hours in Beijing was to be spent on two days of doctor’s appointments and one day of shopping…for gifts…for you!

FRIDAY 8/29/08
We began the day with medical appointments. Schäfer turned out to be 88cm tall which is in the 90th percentile.

He weighs 11.97kg which is in the 50th percentile for weight. His head was 49cm which is in the 75th percentile.

All went well, until the nurse had to draw some blood. Then, he had to get another needle injected for his PPD skin test. He was a trooper and stopped crying at the sight of raisins.

While the doctor and I went over all of Schäfer’s immunizations, the nurse station entertained Schäfer – or maybe it was the other way around?

Thankfully, the doctor was not pushy on immunizations. He made some recommendations on what we should do next and agreed that we could do them at a later date.

Then things got a little crazy because Hubs and I also had doctor’s appointments. If everything went as planned, then we could have passed Schäfer off, but Hubs appointment started an hour late. Making us start at the same time. It was a bit stressful and we learned our lesson – no appointments on the same day – especially when neither of us had eaten anything for the glucose screening test.

Later that afternoon, Schäfer took a mighty long nap while Hubs took the blue bicycle downtown and sold it to a rather tall Aussie. We were glad to have that taken care of.

Hubs had to go back to the hospital on Saturday for an additional eye exam. Thankfully, all went well.

We are all waiting on various test results. We have no major concerns – just wanted to have a health check since it’s been quite a while.

After too much time in doctor’s offices, we got Schäfer down to the Wangfujing play area. Two hours of digging in the sand made everything better.

SUNDAY 8/31/08
Today was our final day in Beijing. Originally, we planned on going shopping, but none of us had a good night’s rest.

Schäfer now has some inflammation in his respiratory. He did not have this on Friday morning when he saw the doctor. We have no clue what has caused it, but the coughing wakes him up and he refuses to drink afterward to offer any relief.

It was a long night and after evaluating that we already have plenty of gifts, we decided to do something a bit more our style.

We went on Safari.

As it is a late and we are heading to the airport early in the morning, I will not be able to share all of our adventure tonight, but let me assure you that it is worth the wait. Our first red flag: when they charged us 2 kuai (23 cents) for “insurance” at the park gate.

Schäfer’s favorite part of the day: feeding the giraffe’s.

After going on Safari, we headed to nearby Ba Da Ling which is another spot on The Great Wall. We hadn’t visited this part before. I’m glad we did.

It was a perfectly breezy end-of-summer day.

Goodbye China. (for now)

Leave a Reply

You can use these HTML tags

<a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>