In making vegetable soup for my family for the past 6 years or so, I’ve learned that you really can’t mess it up… except recently when I forgot it was on the stove and I burned an entire pot. Pregnancy brain anybody?
Vegetable Soup China Version (Grandmaw’s original recipe below)
1 big carrot
a few stalks celery
at least 2 potatoes
3 jin tomatoes
1/2 jin corn
1/2 jin soybeans (or any kind of bean)
1 teaspoon whole thyme (at least – I just toss some in)
1 1/2 teaspoon whole basil (again, I just toss some in)
2 bay leaves
2 1/2 cups beef broth
1 1/4 cups water
salt and pepper to taste
1. Chop everything.
2. Toss everything into a big pot. Bring to a boil.
3. Cook until soup consistency. About 30 minutes.
4. Must serve with cornbread.
Grandmaw’s Vegetable Soup America Version
1 cup sliced carrots
1 cup sliced celery
1 1/2 cups onion, chopped
1 3/4 cup diced potatoes
1/4 tsp. dried whole Thyme
1/2 tsp. dried whole Basil
2 Bay leaves
2 (10 1/2 oz.) cans beef broth undiluted
1 1/4 cup water
3 (16 oz.) cans salt added tomatoes undrained
1 can whole kernel corn undrained
1 (10 oz.) package frozen lima beans
1 (10 oz.) package frozen okra chopped
freshly ground pepper
1. Combine first 9 ingredients in a large dutch (pot). Place tomatoes in an electric blender, blend until smooth.
2. Add tomato mixture to pot, bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat, simmer 30 minutes. Stir often.
3. Add corn and lima beans, simmer 20 minutes.
4. Add okra, return mixture to a boil, stiffing often. Cook an additional 5 minutes.
5. Remove bay leaves, serve in bowls with freshly ground pepper.
Grandmaw says this is also good with ground chuck or left over roast pieces. As if we ever have any leftover roast?!?